This delicious Chile Rellenos recipe is one my husband’s favorite and he’s not a fan of Mexican food, not sure why, well actually I do know why, but will leave that out for now. Are you ready to dive in? Let’s go!
- 4-6 Anaheim Chile peppers
- 1- 8oz package of Queso Asadero (Mexican white cheese) cut into 3/4 inch thick strips or you can buy it shredded.
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Sauce: 1 small can -La Preferida brand salsa Casera (medium)
- 1 small can -La Preferida brand tomato sauce (Spanish style tomato sauce)
- How to make your sauce
- Open the two cans
- I blend the Casera in a small food processor, put in a small saucepan with the tomato sauce mix, a little corn starch with hot water, pour a little in the sauce to thicken. Pour this over your Chile right before you serve.
- How to roast the Chile’s
- It’s best cooked on a barbeque so it doesn’t smoke up, and smell up the house it’s also much quicker.
- You want the Chile’s black on all sides. Place them in a big Ziploc bag or bowl with a lid as soon as you take them off the BBQ. Seal the bag or bowl you want the peppers to steam in there for 15 minutes. This will make them easier to peel.
- After 15 minutes remove and peel one pepper at a time.
- Make a slice long ways on the pepper and remove all the seeds.
- Fill the inside of the pepper with some cheese.
- I use some food twine or string (you can find it in the food section at your grocery store).
- Tie around the pepper to hold it together.
- You want to dredge the pepper in the flour.
- Mix the baking powder in with the egg yolks mix well.
- Heat your skillet with the vegetable oil. (You want to do this next step last so your egg whites don’t go flat before you’re ready to use them).
- Beat the eggs whites with an electric mixer In a metal bowl until stiff—gently fold the egg yolks into the egg whites then dredge a pepper into mixture, and fold over the pepper until it’s
- Fry until lightly browned on all sides.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!