It has been long time since I posted one of my recipes and for good reason, I just ran out of ideas. After posting over 70 recipes all cooked in my kitchen it was hard to come up with something and during the spring and summer we mainly barbeque. This Coconut Shrimp Recipe will surely be a hit at the dinner table. It is easy to prepare and takes no time to cook.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup beer (domestic)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (I prefer Light)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 12-24 jumbo shrimp peeled, and deveined
- 2 to 3 cups of oil for frying (I use extra virgin olive oil)
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer, baking powder, coconut milk and mix well.
- Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and coat in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 tbsp. orange marmalade
- 1/2 tsps. horseradish (or more if you like)
- 1/2 tsps. Dijon mustard
- Mix well and dip
Enjoy and I would love to hear your feedback!