When we first made this we had to be careful not to overcook it as Calamari gets very tough and chewy if overcooked. We cooked this recipe to perfection and we feel good about sharing this recipe made in our own kitchen.
- 2 cups of Vegetable or Olive Oil (We use Olive Oil)
- 1 pound of cleaned Squid “Calamari”
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for garnish
- Preheat oil in a deep frying pan. Oil MUST be heated to 365 degrees F or (180 degrees C).
- Cut cleaned squid with tentacles into 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick rings. Leave tentacles whole.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, oregano, paprika, black pepper and squid and mix thoroughly until squid is covered with all ingredients.
- Cook the squid in batches to avoid overloading the frying pan.
- Place squid in oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly brown. Don’t overcook! Place cooked squid on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with wedges of lemon.