This Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe is one of my favorite Italian recipes and it’s very filling. I use skim milk with heavy cream to reduce calories and fat. The preparation takes a little time, but it is well worth it.
- 1 box spaghetti (I use Dream Field brand)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10-12 slices bacon cook until crispy
- 1 package mushrooms
- Scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Cheese
- Butter (just enough to saute onions and mushrooms)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- Cook bacon until crispy remove from pan and chop (don’t discard drippings).
- In a large skillet saute onions and mushrooms in butter until soft (I use fat free butter).
- Cook pasta until al dente and strain.
- In a large bowl whisk together cheese, cream, milk, egg yolks, salt, pepper, 3 tbsp of the bacon drippings and bacon.
- Add into skillet with mushrooms, onions and pasta.
- Mix well and cook until everything is heated about 4 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little more fat free milk to thin it out. You don’t want it too thick.