This Split Pea Soup Recipe is outstanding and my husband has ordered this recipe from many restaurants and he really loves this one much better. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. The prep time is moderate, but well worth it!
- 1 lb Split Peas
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Pepper to taste
- 3 quarts of water
- 1 ham steak with the bone
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped carrots
- Rinse peas in a strainer.
- In a large deep pot, put in 3 quarts water.
- Add peas, onion, spices, ham, and bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add in carrots and take out ham and remove bone. Cut ham into medium sized chunks and add back into pot.
- Cook for another 2-2 1/2 hours.